The thing about gemstone jewelry is that it comes in as many colors as you can possibly imagine. This is the exclusive feature that makes a gemstone j
The thing about gemstone jewelry is that it comes in as many colors as you can possibly imagine. This is the exclusive feature that makes a gemstone jewelry, be it gemstone pendants, a pearl necklace, a pair of gemstone earrings, a gemstone necklace or gemstone rings – timeless and beautiful.
Moreover, the gemstones have always been associated with the spiritual element of the universe and most gemstones also caters as birthstone jewelry. For example – for people born in the month of January, the gemstone Garnet is the birthstone for the person born in the month of January, and similarly for February, the gemstones Amethyst, Hyacinth, and Pearl acts as birthstone for the person born in this month.
Given the variety and the many shapes and sizes that gemstones come in, buying a gemstone jewelry might not prove to be as straightforward as initially thought.
But you need not worry, this article on gemstones will furnish you with all the information that you will require before going on to buy gemstone jewelry.
Things to Know About Gemstones Before Buying
- Firstly, all the gemstones that you see are different in value and rarity.
- The gemstones are divided into two categories – the precious and the semi-precious gemstones.
- The precious is also referred to as the ‘big four’, which includes – diamond, emerald, ruby, and sapphire. They form the highest value among all the gemstones that can be found in the earth’s crust.
The value assigned to the precious gemstones or the big four is on the basis of what we can call the 4 C’s. The 4 C’s stand for a gemstone –
- Carat – This refers to the measurement of the gemstone in weight. If the carat weight is higher, the gemstone would be more expensive.
- Color – The second C which stands for color is the most important factor in the valuation of a gemstone. The color of a given gemstone is categorized into three classifications – saturation, hue and tone.
- Clarity – As the term clarity itself suggests, it has to do with the appraisal of any kind of blemishes, marks, or flaws within the gemstone. Of all the gemstones, diamond is the most meticulously appraised for clarity.
- Cut – Last but definitely not the least when it comes to valuation is the cut of the gemstone. The way a gemstone is cut gives the shape to the gemstone. Moreover, the way gemstones are cut has most to do with the brilliance of a given gemstone, especially a diamond. A well-cut diamond can be assessed by the brilliance that it emits.
When choosing a gemstone, make sure that you have a purpose in mind that the gemstone will serve. For instance, if you are looking for a gemstone for your engagement ring, then one of the four precious gemstones would be best suited for the occasion, diamond being the more popular choice among the four. If it is for someone’s birthday, then a gemstone in the form of birthstone jewelry would make for the perfect gift. If it is just for something for you to wear as an ornament, then gemstone fashion jewelry would be the way to go.
Now, surely, you must have a fair idea on what gemstone jewelry and the things that you need to look for when going to buy one. Most often than not, the final purchase of a gemstone jewelry comes to the price, so before going in to procure a gemstone jewelry do have a budget set aside for the purchase.